Painting stones / eggs / something else!
This week we have an activity that could be part of the Artist activity badge or the Our Skills challenge badge.
- Ask parents in advance to have craft or art materials to hand (eg: paint / coloured marker pens / glue / coloured paper / decorative items.
- They will also need to source a reasonable sized smooth stone or an egg (raw / boiled / plastic / cardboard) or another small item like an empty egg box, a yoghurt pot etc…. or they could use an egg shape drawn onto a plain sheet of paper.
- Everyone will also need a 3 plain pieces of paper and a pen.
How to participate (using video meeting tool like Zoom):
- At the beginning of the meeting, ask the Cubs to go and get a stone / egg / box / pot (see above) + some decorating materials + three pieces of paper and a pen.
- Ask each Cub to write large numbers – 1, 2 and 3 on the pieces of paper (one number on each). These eventually became the scoring system – a bit like in ‘Strictly Come Dancing’. They should then put these aside until later.
- Next, give each Cub a theme. You could have the these in a hat / bowl and draw them out like a raffle – announcing each Cub’s name in turn and then drawing out their theme. Alternatively, you might like to match Cubs to themes in advance, so that they get one they might be specifically interested in. Here are some suggested themes – Bear Grylls / Baker / Sewing / Robert Baden Powell / Nurse / Pitching a tent / Steve Backshall / Journalist / Tying knots / Tim Peak / Farmer / Singing a campfire song / David Beckham / Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge / Delivery Driver / Eating dinner / Sir David Attenborough / Lawyer / Washing up
- Now give the Cubs 20 minutes to decorate their stone / egg / box / item to reflect their theme. It may be worth doing one yourself in advance, to give an idea of what is expected.
- At the end of the time, admire each Cub’s item and give specific positive feedback on them all! Ask the Cubs to score them, by holding up their 1, 2 or 3 card (‘Strictly Come Dancing’ style!)
Age Range: Cubs
Time to Complete: 30 – 45 minutes
Badge Requirements: Artist activity badge / Our Skills challenge badge