European Scout Jamboree
The Somerset Unit to the European Jamboree will be combined with Bedfordshire (though this could change). Each Unit is made up of 4 patrols, consisting of 9 participants and 1 leader. So the whole unit consists of 36 young people, plus 4 leaders. Somerset has half a unit (2 patrols) so we will be seeking to select 18 participants and 2 leaders from across Somerset County.
You may not know the other young people in the Unit at first, but your leaders will help making new friends easy. You will spend several weekends together in the 18 months before the Jamboree, getting to know each other, planning your experience and making sure you have all the skills you need for your Jamboree adventure.
The basic cost to attend the European Jamboree as a participant is 1,850 Polish Zloty (approx. £376, though this price will fluctuate according to the exchange rate), which includes:
- Transfers to/from Gdansk airport or Central railway station
- Participation in the European Jamboree programme including off site activities
- Food during the European Jamboree
- Opening and closing ceremonies
However, there will be other involved costs, the total amount to be determined according to what the unit decide, but will need to include:
- Unit pre Jamboree preparation weekends, for which maximum attendance is expected in order that you are best prepared for this experience
- Travel to/from Gdansk and UK airport
- Possible Pre or post Jamboree experience (sightseeing and other activities, including food and accommodation)
- Unit badge and neckerchief and possibly other branded personal kit such as T shirts
- Travel insurance
As a unit you will plan together how to spend this portion of the fee, investigate options for travel, consider any pre/post Jamboree experience and design your own Unit-branded items.
Therefore, the total fee is estimated to be between £1200 and £1500, depending on the plans your unit makes.
This cost does not include the following:
- Uniform (you will take your normal Scout uniform)
- Travel and camping kit including bags, tents and other personal camping equipment
- Spending money
A payment schedule will be advised to successful applicants, but a first payment of £50 will be requested by the end of January 2019.
Who can apply?
You can apply to be a member of the Somerset Unit if you were born between 26 July 2002 and 31 December 2006.
We are looking for Scouts that:
- have an interest in international Scouting
- can work in a team
- are committed to Scouting
- are committed to the Jamboree experience, including training events – maximum attendance is expected
- can take responsibility for themselves
- have experience of camping and basic Scouting skills
- will get something special out of this unique experience
- will be happy to be away from home for two weeks
- Apply by midnight on Saturday 5th January 2019 and send your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will be in contact with you by midnight Wednesday 9th January 2019 with an outcome regarding your application
- All Scouts/Explorers whose applications show that they would be committed and enthusiastic members of the Jamboree unit will go forward to the next stage. Please remember to keep Saturday 19th January 2019 free in case (depending on numbers of applications) we need you to attend a selection process