This Skills course aims to provide Managers and Supporters with the tools they need in order to carry out their role effectively and support others in doing the same.It will allow learners to build upon knowledge gained from the Independent Learning and apply this to real life Scouting situations. It identifies places where further information and support can be found. The material in this course will strongly support the validation requirements for your Wood Badge.
Manager & Supporter Skills Courses are delivered across the South West Region and this Course is being hosted by Gloucestershire Scouts at Cranham Scout Centre Cranham, Gloucestershire (GL4 8HP). This is a two day course and both days need to be completed.
Somerset County will cover the Course Fee, which includes all meals and accomodation. Your travel costs should be covered by your Group, District or County as appropriate.
Booking is published through Somerset Scouts but subject to availability with Gloucestershire Scouts.
In addition to booking online here with Somerset Scouts you must also register with Gloucestershire Scouts so that final details etc can be sent direct to you. Please therefore additionally follow the following link to register https://swscout.training/calendar/skills-of-management-2-days/
If you have any questions about this training, please contact your Training Adviser or Alan Henderson at email@example.com
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe their preferred leadership style and explain how this impacts on how they work with others.
- Demonstrate how to adapt their leadership style as appropriate to different situations in Scouting.
- Apply effective and appropriate communication techniques to meet the needs of the intended audience.
- Use active listening techniques and provide constructive feedback.
- Carry out effective reviews with team members.
- Apply basic coaching techniques and work with others to identify and develop their potential in Scouting.
- Motivate individuals within a team.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in their team and how to build upon these.
- Facilitate team development.
- Plan and run effective meetings.
- Facilitate constructive communication and discussion.
- Plan and manage effective inductions.
- Apply effective learning and relationship building.
- Identify steps to implement their personal action plan.
The following Independent Learning Units are recommended as pre-course learning, if they are relevant to your role:
- Managing Your Time and Personal Skills
- Building Effective Teams
- Project Management
- Getting the Word Out
- Leading Local Scouting
- Finding, Appointing and Welcoming Volunteers
- Keeping, Developing and Managing Volunteers
- Supporting the Adult Training Scheme
- Financial and Physical Resources
- Executive Committees and Being a Trustee
- Decision Making
Cranham Scout Centre Cranham, Gloucestershire GL4 8HP
Book your course online...
Hurry! There are only 5 places remaining!